Friday, June 23, 2017

Flower Power


black woman in flowery oufit



Originally published on my previous blog, the edge hunter, during 28 May 2017.


I was so fascinated by my mother's dresses when I was young. I remember gazing at the prints for hours, marvelling at how they managed to put them on a piece of clothing.  Beautiful clothes when I was young, had flowers/print. Wearing bold plain colours, was left for men and even back then, wearing a flowered shirt for a man was not out of the ordinary. When my friends and I would talk of a new dress our parents may have purchased, the  description would consist mainly of flowers and pink. And for those who understand Kikuyu, we referred to them as nguo ya mahua. The mention of flowers automatically meant beautiful.


a pair of dark brown Zara heels

black woman in flowery outfit with right hand on waist



When I saw this fabric, I was taken back to my childhood. It was love at first sight but also doubt. (yes, that happens with fabric as well) Does the colour suit me or any of my friends just in case? Is it too busy? Is it too much? Then I put it aside, walked around the shop a few times to see if I still loved it. I did, so I decided it was coming home with me. Worst case scenario my friends might like it, in case I change my mind.

dark skinned woman in flowerly outfit with hands slightly on shoulders

smiling woman in a flowerly outfit and a pair of Zara Heels


I made a crop top because I think it's absolutely sexy without showing too much. I love circle midi skirts because they are classy, versatile and sexy  at the same darn time. I felt very lady like in this outfit. The strappy heels are from Zara, complete adoration here. They are so comfortable, I forgot I was in heels.

woman in flowelry outfit and a pair of Zara heels posing sideways

woman in flowerly outift and a pair of dark brown heels Zara heels leaning on a red bridge

As a child, did you gravitate towards a certain fabric or texture? If so, what did you call it? How did it look like? Please  leave your answers in the comment section.

Thank you very much for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.