Friday, June 23, 2017

Repeat Offender: Another White Shirt



woman wearing white shird, red necklace and blue african print skirt



Originally published on my previous blog, the edge hunter, during 2 May 2015.

I've always steered away from prints and African fabrics in general until recently. I just did not know how I would wear them. There has been an unspoken rule about how to design the fabric and to me that was not appealing at all. I remember all the dresses my mum had tailored for us during Christmas and other occasions. I started rebelling against them at a very young age. I've always known what I wanted to wear and saved my allowances to buy the kind of clothes I wanted. I developed a wonderful relationship with the clothes vendors in our small town and as a result, I got my clothes at a bargain that my mum found very hard to believe. Rebelling against hideous childhood designs has been one of the most rewarding experiences, it has taught me to express myself through clothing and to be comfortable in being different.

woman holding to hook on a wall is wearing white shirt, african print skirt, and red pumps.

I had a dream of one day making the fabric more wearable on a daily basis and that dream thankfully, has also been fulfilled by countless other designers.  I made this skirt with a crop top, but I like how playful the colours are and how versatile it is. I wanted to pair it this time with a white shirt as usual. I like how the white shirt can be dressed up or down with accessories. I could not find earrings to go with this look, so I combined two necklaces to give a pop of colour. *Yes, you can try that*.



woman with hand over neck


Now, I have always been the type of a person who wears earrings to go throw the trash. I have had to choose sometimes between necklaces and earrings and this has been very challenging for me. Whenever I'm faced with such a dilemma , I take Coco Chanel's words to heart. Her advice always seems be of tremendous comfort.

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and remove one accessory

woman looking over horizon


I got both of these necklaces from friends but I'm only sure about the one with the black details. It is from a market place in the Gambia. The shoes are by Trafaluc,  the skirt I bought myself, and the shirt is by Just Cavalli. I hope by now you're seeing your white shirts in a new light.


side by side picture of red pumps and red neck piece

woman slightly sitting on wall for posing purposes

Be extremely inspired!

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.