Friday, June 23, 2017

Guilt Free Fur?


dark skinned woman wearing brown faux fur coat



Originally published on my previous blog, the edge hunter, during 19 April 2015.


I made this faux fur vest in Autumn and I have had to think very much about whether I wanted to wear it. This was not because my conscience was not clear but because faux fur as you know is made from synthetic fibers designed to resemble real fur and one might dismiss it at first glance as real. I have comfortably worn faux fur before but my values change everyday and I am finding myself becoming a very conscious designer. If I was not a fashion designer, I would be a full time animal  and environmental activist. It's probably something I will consider along the way but as for now I make my contribution by supporting those who are fighting for the cause.


woman wearing faux fur coat, green leather pants and red pumps

I developed a love for fur a long time ago and I couldn't wait to get a mink coat of my own. The name sounded so luxurious and I imagined how soft it would feel around my body. I was not aware then of the animal cruelty that went behind making fur. In my young mind, it did not even occur to me that animals had to die for me to wear a mink coat. Talk about being blond. Like with anything else, we do not think very much about the process approach of anything as consumers.  

I was glad to learn about faux fur as an animal friendly alternative and also a luxurious one. This alternative is not at all innocent. It is not a natural material  and it is therefore made from several materials including blends of acrylic, modacrylic polymers derived from coal, air, water, petroleum and limestone. These materials can take a long time unfortunately  to break down.


woman clutching her outfit




I still wanted to wear this vest and I  guess I will not be gravitating towards faux fur in the future. Hopefully this will be my last faux fur vest. I must confess though, I do love how they feel and look. This is still in the white shirt series and  by now you know how I feel about white shirts.


Pleather skinny pants & shirt: H&M
Shoes: Trafaluc
Neck piece: Market place in Gambia
Belt: Small boutique
Earrings: Gift from a friend





close up of colorful neck piece


street photo of woman in stylish outfit


brown faux fur coat




Photo Credit: Anne Ndegwa

Be inspired!

Leave a comment below on your opinion on faux fur, and weather we should we wear it guilt free?


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.