Saturday, July 1, 2017

In My Mother's Heels


mustard yellow neck piece worn over white top


Originally published on my previous blog, the edge hunter, during 22 June 2015.



My favourite thing about films is the costumes. It is through them that we understand the nature of the character. Whether they are rich or poor, a superhero or evil, It's all in the costumes. It's also the way we go back in time. I love classic outfits. I find them very flattering to a woman's body, and absolutely sexy. I wanted to go back in time a little bit with this outfit. Well, to be honest, I think I live there. I love how feminine women were back then.






smiling woman with short hair wearing a neck piece over a white top



My mother, her sisters and friends, loved photos, and I spent a few hours a week flipping through the family albums and discussing the clothes they were wearing back then. I took advantage mostly when we had guests.  I don't know about you, but where I come from, the first thing we would serve a guest was tea, no matter how hot it was outside, followed by the family album. I had so many questions to ask. My mother and her friends were very stylish. The craziest thing, is how I knew that, at a very young age. As a teenager, I would still refer to these albums to draw inspiration. My mother's friend came to visit us when I was about 6 yrs old. That was the first time I fell head over heels with chiffon. She was wearing lee jeans, red chiffon top, and black pumps. This outfit was loaded with simplicity and class. Dark skin and velvet like, she was the most beautiful and stylish woman I had ever seen. I unpacked her in no time, and after she left, I was imitating everything I saw her do, most especially walking in my mother's heels, for days until the rain washed  away the holes she had made on our front yard with her pumps. She taught me the art of less is more.


hand with golden bracelet holding a white clutch bag with a detail of splashes of of color

I wanted to make an outfit that I can wear to dinner, for an evening out, for any occasion really, when I want to dress up or down. In this case of up or down, shoes dictate the occasion. All I would need to do here is take off the neckpiece and the heels, change the bag and it's daytime in no time. I wanted to dress up this time. I hope you're inspired. This is a two piece once again because style is about maximising your wardrobe.

woman wearing a white and golden outfit with a pair of brown heels is curtseying
woman wearing a white and golden outfit with a pair of brown heels is posing sideways



Bag: Gift from a friend then I DIY-ed.
Neck piece: H&M
Shoes: Zara

I know it's such a process to leave a comment, but do not hesitate.

xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.